If you need help with activities of daily living for yourself or a loved one, it is a great idea to hire a caregiver to help. Home care agencies are the best source of qualified caregiving professionals. But, how do you choose which home care agency to hire?
Well, there are a number of factors to consider before you hire someone to help you with in-home care. It is best to do your research, ask for referrals from people you know, and ask a lot of questions of the agencies. This is especially important in Arizona because the state does not require a license to be a home care agency.
Here is our list of top things to look for in a home care agency in Arizona…
- Locally-owned and operated businesses.
- Member of the Arizona In Home Care Association (AZNHA).
- Caregivers are W-2 employees of the agency not contractors.
- Properly insured.
- Member of Home Care Association of America (HCAOA)
- Caregivers are screened and properly trained.
- An ALTCS provider. This means that the company gets audited by insurance carriers. It ensures that the business is keeping up with background checks etc.
Questions to ask when talking with the home care agency
- How many employees do you have?
- How long have you been in business?
- Are caregivers tested for TB and drug tested?
- Is someone available 24/7 to help in case of emergency?
- Who answers your phones? Owners, staff or answering service?
- What is the minimum number of hours needed for a caregiver to help us?
As you can see, there are a lot of things to think about when hiring a home care agency. We hope these lists will be helpful for you in deciding who to choose to help your family. If you live in Scottsdale or the surrounding areas, our family at Home With Help® would love to help your family. Feel free to call us with any questions at 480-941-0200